Last updated October 2015
Background and Scope
The Human Resources Institute of New Zealand (HRINZ) is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information it collects and receives. We are required to comply with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 ("the Act").
This policy explains how HRINZ collects, uses, discloses and otherwise handles personal information relating to individuals, whether or not they are members. It also explains how you can ask to access and correct the personal information we hold about you or complain about any suspected privacy breach. Nothing in this policy limits any of our other obligations at law.
Collection of Personal Information
HRINZ is required to collect personal information in accordance with the Act. Where possible we will collect personal information we require directly from you or as authorised by you.
Personal information we hold may include, but is not limited to, your name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, course attendance, and information we require to perform our services for you.
Personal information entered into the HRINZ databases will not be used or disclosed by us, except as authorised by you to perform our services for you.
Should you choose not to provide personal information or authorize its disclosure we may not be able to provide you with the services you require at a sufficient level that we regard as important for performing at best practice.
We may collect personal information:
- from the information supplied by you to HRINZ
- in conversation and communication with you or your representative
- from publicly available sources of information
- when we are required to do so by law
- from our own records of your membership with HRINZ
Where HRINZ collects your personal information, HRINZ will take reasonable steps to notify you of:
- the purposes for which we are collecting the information
- the third parties to whom we may disclose the information of that kind
- how to access and correct personal information and make privacy complaints
HRINZ will only collect sensitive information where it is reasonably necessary for our core functions or activities. For example, we may collect:
- emergency contact information in case of injury while attending a HRINZ event
- information about dietary requirements/disability factors for events and conferences
HRINZ will enable you to access our website and make general telephone enquiries without having to identify yourself. HRINZ also enables you to respond to our surveys anonymously.
Cookies Through the HRINZ Website
Most internet browsers are set to accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive them, you can adjust your internet browser to reject cookies, or to notify you when they are being used. Rejecting cookies can, however, limit the functionality of our website.
HRINZ has enabled the Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting functionality available through Google Analytics. You can also find out more from Google.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Your personal information may be used by us to:
- provide products and services to you
- collect payments and to administer your membership
- provide you with updated or new information about our products and services
- enable our service providers to provide products and services to you
- develop existing and new products and services
- maintain and update our business infrastructure and systems
- promote our other products and services to you
In providing our products and services, or collecting and using your personal information, your personal information may be disclosed to third party organisations including:
- information technology service providers
- conference organisers
- marketing and communications agencies
- mailing houses, freight and courier services
- printers and distributors of direct marketing material
- our legal, accounting, financial or other professional advisors
- regulatory, government and other authorities as required by law
- international bodies with which we have mutual recognition agreements (for example, CPID to confirm a member's membership status)
- members of HRINZ committees such as the National Board, Branch Committees and advisory committees
By providing us with your contact details, your consent to receive communications will remain current until you advise us otherwise. However, you can opt out at any time through the following channels:
- By Mail - HRINZ, Level 2, Solnet House, 70 The Terrace, Wellington 6142
- By Email - email@example.com
- By telephone - 0800 247 469
- use the unsubscribe facility that we include in our electronic messages such as emails
Unsolicited personal information is personal information we receive that we have taken no active steps to collect. If the information we receive is not required for HRINZ to perform one or more of our services or activities, HRINZ will destroy or remove anything that could identify you from the information as soon as practicable.
Quality of Personal Information
HRINZ takes reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide.
We recommend that you:
- review/update your information held in your Profile on a regular basis; or
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information so we can update your Profile
Security of Personal Information
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
You can also help to protect the privacy of your personal information by keeping passwords secret and by ensuring that you log out of the website when you have completed your transaction. If you become aware of any security breach, please contact HRINZ head office as soon as possible.
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently remove anything that could identify you from personal information if it is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed.
HRINZ is not responsible for the privacy or security of third party websites that you access via links on the HRINZ website.
Access to Personal Information
You are able to access your personal information that we hold, except as provided for in the Act. To obtain access to your personal information, write to the HRINZ National Office requesting your personal information and confirming your identity and we will provide it to you. We reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee for the provision of this information. If we refuse your request, or if we refuse to give you access in the manner you requested, HRINZ's policy is to provide you with written confirmation of the reasons for our refusal and the available complaint process.
You can find out more information about your rights, including processes for making complaints regarding privacy matters, at the website for the Office of the Privacy Commissioner www.privacy.org.nz.
Members can access and update their contact details by logging in to the member-only area of the website. For any personal information that can't be accessed and corrected through website please contact HRINZ head office.
If you have a complaint about how HRINZ has collected, stored or used your personal information, please contact the HRINZ head office. We will endeavor to respond within five business days.
If your complaint is unable to be resolved within five business days, HRINZ will advise you in writing including letting you know when we expect to provide our response.
Please contact HRINZ if you have any queries about the personal information that HRINZ holds about you or the way we use or disclose that personal information. Our contact details are set out below.
Human Resources Institute of New Zealand
Level 2, Solnet House, 70 The Terrace, Wellington 6142
Tel: 0800 247 469